Old 01-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] BT#84 Takagi pot comp wonderings

Dale...

Personally I would be very interested in seeing a potter or several
potters presented with a tree and allow them to each develop their
pottery vision for the same tree. I think in my mind that would do more
to push the boundaries of bonsai pottery while still remaining
complimentary to the tree and true to the art. In other words the pot
was developed for the sake of the tree and not for the sake of the pot
itself. Don't get me wrong I love non-bonsai pottery but this concept
of developing from the ground up a pot for a specific tree I think is
very exciting. Makes me want to take up the art of pottery.

With that in mind I'd rather see the potters pushing into pots that
relate to one another in a 3-point display and especially as Andy
outlined a "new" type of display. I may be giving up an original idea
or perhaps someone has already done it but I always thought a cypress
swamp in pot would be incredible. Andy mentioned Spanish moss...imagine
the whole swamp with stumps and knees poking out of the water and
spanish moss in the style of a land and water pot but with most or all
water....sort of a swampy water-filled forest style. The pot created
for such a display as well as some of the other displays to me is more
interesting than some of the original pots of this thread.

Bil

== Andy, and others,
== How do you feel about this springs "Bonsai InSites" display at the
== national
== arboretum where selected famous potters were asked to design a pot
for a
== tree selected up front as one to be used for each potter. In other
== words,
== the potter had pictures and measurements of the trees he was
creating
== the
== pot for. A couple of them did wind up getting other trees planted in
== them
== at a later date after original pics were taken.
== I was VERY interested in this. All of the pots were great
technically
== challenging works, although I didn't like a couple of the designs,
and
== I
== thought a few just in no way were made with planting a living tree
in
== mind.
== However,Some matched wonderfully to the chosen tree.
== Regards,
== Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++