Old 01-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Runner beans

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:
| The message
| from "Peter Coddington" peter (No
| contains these words:
|
| A good point re cross pollination. I have never heard or read about
| saving roots and some stem.(apart from leaving the roots in the
| ground)
| I will give it a go at the end of the season and see if I can
| overwinter them.
|
| I packed a ten gallon plastic tub with roots last year, and every one
| was viable in the spring. I found that I hadn't left enough stem on some
| of them and the ones I cut right back took an extra month or so to
| shoot.
|
| Those with a couple of inches of stem (and buds!) were away within a
| week or so.

I left some in the ground a year or two back. It was a mild winter,
but all died. I would expect the same for roots in a tub, as I
believe that the damage was consequent on freezing.

My guess is that you can do this only when you can ensure that the
roots will never freeze at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.