Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 PM
LeighMo

Default Dark brown ALGEA on my swords!

Ok everyone I have algea and I'm not ashamed to admit it right now.
Does anyone know if once a plants leaves have a lot of algea covering
if the can it be saved?

For an amazon sword, it might be best to cut off old, algae-infested leaves.
New ones should grow in very quickly.

So heres my specs CPF hood 55w x 4 and
regular strip thats has 2 x 20w on a 75g.

That is nearly 3.5 watts per gallon. I hope you are using compressed CO2. DIY
is unlikely to be enough for a tank as large as yours, with as much light as
you have.

The lights are on for 9
hours at full strength on 12 total starting the cycle with the 40w
strip and ending with it.

Make sure the lights are on full strength for at least ten hours. Tropical
plants are used to a 12-hour day, so ten is the shortest you should go.

I do have co2 injection.

With your amount of light, the first thing I would worry about is CO2. What is
your pH and KH? If you don't have a KH test kit, you should get one. If you
can't, measure the pH of your tapwater after it's set out in a cup overnight,
and measure the pH of the tank, and see what the difference is. It might also
be helpful to measure the pH of the tank in the morning, just before the lights
go on, during the middle of the "day," and again immediately after lights out.
That will help you determine if you're maintaining enough CO2 in the water
during the day.

Also, can you describe the algae in more detail? If it's that soft, slimy
brown algae, a few otos will do wonders. (But it will only be replaced with
other types of algae unless the underlying problem is fixed.)

How long has your tank been set up and planted?

Leigh