Old 01-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Conifer?

(Evelyn Usher) wrote in message . ..
Thanks I have already a climbing hydrangea in the pot as it is going to be
against a wall. Do you think it will be alright?

Oh gosh! I don't know.

The two will in theory need different amounts of water and food, but
that probably won't matter much.

But when you have to replace the Lawson's, I don't imagine you'll be
able to extricate its roots from those of the hydrangea. This means
you'll have to chop the cypress off rather than dig it up, and there
may be a risk of fungal infection as the remaining roots decay. I
haven't got the knowledge to advise on how much root damage an
established climbing hydrangea (petiolaris?) will stand; given that
this one will have a restricted root run in the first place, it sounds
risky.

From a design point of view, are you sure this is the effect you want?
It's absolutely none of my business, of course, but it seems to me the
conifer won't really show well against the hydrangea. These narrow
cypresses make nice punctuation marks placed where you can really
appreciate their shape: might it get lost close up against a spreading
climber?

If you've already got the cypress, why not keep it in its present
container for a few weeks while you try it in different spots? Because
they're so slender, they're very good as accents beside doorways and
at corners in paths.

Mike.