Old 01-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Lynn Smythe

Default Compost ingredients?

Oooooohhhhh, don't put any more oil, fat or meat trimmings into the compost
pile. It attracts animals (mice, rats, racoons etc...) and doesn't break
down. The rest of your kitchen scraps are okay to place in the compost:
eggshells, coffee grinds, tea bags, vegetable and fruit trimmings. Other
items that can be added to the compost are black/white newspaper (none of
those color advestising pages), grass clippings, pine needles, non-diseased
yard trimmings.

I avoid putting weeds or rotten vegetables such as tomatoes in my compost
after learning the hard way. My compost doesn't get hot enough to kill off
the weed seeds so now I have tomatoes and purslane growing wherever I put
the compost in my garden - I just love weeding (she said sarcastically).
I've also added small amounts of bone meal and blood meal to my compost
piles to help speed up the composting process. We also have a guinea pig so
the used bedding gets placed into the compost pile. We used to compost our
rabbit droppings too but we gave the rabbit back to the pet store because my
kids weren't taking very good care of it.

Of course, I'm no expert. These are just some tips that seem to work for me.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:
website:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

"Andrew McMichael" wrote in message

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,

and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat

trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this

so?
Why?

Andrew

---