Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Green Tomatoes????

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:05:12 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

Hehe don't feel too bad buddy my Health Kicks didn't even survive. I got the
4th of July's in the ground around May 8th, got my first ripe fruit from
them about 2 weeks ago. My roommate has started calling them the August 1st
tomatoes to make fun of me hehe. I am sure this has to do with some luck,
but mostly weather. Something rather odd is that one of my Big Mama tomatoes
is almost ripe, but ONLY one! The rest are still very much green and show no
sign of ripening. One of the Brandy Boy's is just starting to ripen. I
actually got my first ripe fruit from the Sugar Snack cherries (I keep
calling them Sweet Treats), and now the plant is producing at least a few
fruit each day, the 4th of July producing 1 or 2 ripes every other day.
The Burpee Burger is just now showing signs of ripening, and still only one
fruit...

Contrary to everyone's doleful outdoor-tomato experiences
this year, we've had really nice results with the Red Robins
that have been growing indoors on our big bay window ledge.

These are true miniatures, mine are in 6" pots. A slightly
larger pot would be nice, but they'll manage in 6" pots.

We have nine plants - yesterday, I picked 20 cherry-sized
tomatoes from them. This is plenty for one good-sized
helping of tossed salad...We have about that many to pick
today as well.

The Red Robins have been producing very nicely for quite a
while now, maybe a month or six weeks. I think they're
determinate plants and therefore won't produce fruit
indefinitely, but they've surely been fine so far.

These have a terrific flavor, IMHO - they have the 'real
old-fashioned tomato taste'. They aren't as sweet as some
cherry tomatoes.

Seeds are available from Shumway:

http://www.rhshumway.com/index.cfm

I'm starting seeds for more of these and for Yellow Canary
(indeterminate) in a day or two - for growing on into the
winter.

I don't know if tomatoes are day-length sensitive or not:
if they are, I can supplement the natural lights with a
fluorescent light or two.

If anyone *does* know whether or not tomatoes are day-length
sensitive, would you please post it? Thanks.

Pat