Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Western Art (was: Pacific Rime exhibit)

From Khaimraj
AND the second simple rule of stimulating the
imagination through the use of a well designed tree.
Thus one would not need the props.
If a painting needs props to explain itself,it is a
failure.Same for a tree.
Khaimraj

-----------

From Andy:

So don't tell me that a painting or a bonsai or any othe

work of art is a
failure if it "needs props" to explain itself. What you're

referring to are
not props, they're companions and they don't explain, they

support. This is
artistry and you, as an artist, should know this. This dog

won't hunt.

--------------------

Khaimraj and Andy,

I don't think things surround a work of art to be companions
for that work - but, especially in asian art like bonsai and
suiseki, are giving the work a "context" - which does give
additional support to the meaning of the work. These arts
differ, to me, from painting in as much as their context can
be seasonal, or refer to something that is important when
drawn from the collection of objects; context matters very
much. I don't think a frame on a painting was meant in the
same way. A frame can function as an interface between a
room's decor and the painting -or is decorative.
On the other hand in many modern galleries we hang without
framing - so there is no confusion between reaction to frame
and reaction to painting - the viewer supplies his own context
and surrounding. This is a much preferred exhibit now.
I don't find it possible in my experience to see painting
and bonsai/suiseki similar with regard to displaying because
of the weight of meaning connected to the asian display
methods.
Lynn

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++