Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rich McCormack

Default Pumpkins

Dan Mazerolle wrote:

Pumpkin Ale??? I never heard of it. Can I have the recipe and any advice
needed by a novice?

I don't have a tried and true recipe for making pumpkin ale and
usually just "wing it" each time. Here's generally how I make it...

Rich's Pumpkin Ale

For each 1 1/4 pounds malt extract

1/2 ounce hops
1/2 pound chopped peeled and seeded pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
1/2 ounce chopped fresh ginger

Follow my basic beer making method found at...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/beerpage.html

Have no fear, it's an old PacBell legacy web site with no pop-ups
or advertisements...well, except for my shameless endorsements of
The LP, Rubio's Fish Tacos and Samual Adams Beer, but one only goes
there if one clicks on the links.

Most pumpkin ale recipes I've come across add the pumpkin towards
the end of the boil to sterilize and leave it in for the primary
fermentation. I add the pumpkin and all the spices at the
beginning of the boil and strain the pumpkin out when the wort
goes into the carboy for primary fermentation.

Besides drinking, what else do I use my pumpkin ale for...?

Rich's Chipotle "Yams" Braised in Pumpkin Ale

This is my traditional Thanksgiving dinner contribution and answer
to the usual candied yams with brown sugar and marshmallows.

For each half to three quarter pound red skinned sweet potatoes
use about one tablespoon chipotle butter. To make the chipotle
butter, blend about one part pureed chipotles en adobo into two
parts softened butter. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into one
inch or so pieces. Melt the chipotle butter in a frying pan (I use
cast iron) and add chopped sweet potatoes. Sauté briefly or until
all the tater pieces are covered with melted chipotle butter. Pour
in enough pumpkin ale for about half an hour braising at 350 degrees
fahrenheit. Cover (I use aluminum foil) and cook sweet potatoes
in oven until fork tender. Remove cover, sprinkle some shredded
parmesan cheese over the taters and return to oven to broil for
5 minutes or so or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Rich

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/