Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Pond Kit

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
bore me, please...I know now that I have the proper test kits I'll have

some
friends, family calling on me to do some tests for them. I figure I should
put together a kit. I just thought of another addition or two...

Just remember, you asked! It took me a while to do a mental inventory, so I
probably missed something. Like I said, I want to be prepared, and hope I
never need it! (long sigh) At least you know I'm *serious* about my fish!

I keep on hand:

Chloramine T
Proform C
TriCide-Neo
Supaverm (I have koi only, but will replace it with Prazi Pond when the time
comes so I can help someone else if I need to)
Potassium Permanganate
Oil of Clove

Neosporin
Iodine 7%
Scissors
Tweezers
Q-Tips
Cotton Balls

Disposable dissection kit

And an assortment of reference material for identification and dosing

I have a 1/2 doz. diabetic syringes on hand (and a diabetic friend from whom
I can get replacements), but I don't keep antibiotics on hand, preferring to
get them fresh if/when I need them.

I also keep copious quantities of ChlorAm-X and Sodium Thiosulfate,
activated charcoal, and calcium bentonite on hand. If you want to consider
KoiZyme a "medicine", I have that, too.

I have a 'scope, slides (glass and plastic) and know how to take digital
macro photos to post if the fish contract something I can't identify.

I also have salt and peroxide available.

I have an assortment of meters (with appropriate calibration and storage
solutions), and re-order all my test kits every 6 months to keep them as
fresh as possible. I have (for test kits) Ammonia, pH, NitrIte, NitrAte, KH,
GH, O2, phosphate and salt. For meters, I have pH, ORP, Salt and a digital
thermometer for water temps. I have (dedicated) measuring spoons and
measures for ounces, ml's, and cc's. I have a postal meter that does both
gram and ounce measures.

I keep an extra bag of cycled media in my biofalls so I just have to grab it
if I have to set up the Q/H tank (which is nearby, but not set up all the
time due to space issues)

I have extra pumps (air and water), airstones and water heaters - all in
assorted sizes.

And (finally!) I have an 8500 watt generator that I can put on line in the
event of a prolonged power failure (I live in a hurricane zone). Oh - I can
also run the refrigerator, TV, fans, etc. - but I bought it for the fish!

Lee