Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jan Flora

Default Compost ingredients?

In article , Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

I think it would be nice to have a compost heap made out of
pallets (or other wood).

I've used pallets for years. I use those metal fence posts that cost about $3
at the hardware store to support them. Pallets can be found most anywhere, so
the entire set-up costs me no more than about $15.

Basically I stand a pallet on its end, and put the post down the middle. The
pallets aren't tied together in any way so there's no need for anything other
than a hammer, the pallets, and the posts. Takes about fifteen minutes to put
it all together.

Andrew

Your local lumberyard may give away their damaged pallets for free. Ours does.
Also, if you live near a shipping port, you can get pallets and wooden shipping
containers made out of hardwoods (mahogany anyone?) for free, if you're a good
scrounge.

Jan