Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Default fast growing large leafed ivy

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
I read that members of the Hibernica ( Irish ) group of Ivies were fast
growing. I don't know their leaf size or how easy they are to get hold
of. Hedera "Sulphur Heart" ( Paddy's Pride ) has large, variegated leaves
but I'm not sure of its vigour.

Andy

"Paul" wrote in message
Having just put up a 30ft long trellis along a fence i am now looking
for suggestions for a fast growing large leafed evergreen ivy to cover
it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just checked the web, and here's an up-to-date URL:
http://www.eleventowns.demon.co.uk/ivy.html

I'd have to agree with the message below from bnd that ivy does get
very hefty in time, though; it certainly could pull down your trellis,
especially when it makes mature fruiting growth at the top -- and
that's without any help from the wind. I once had the sad duty of
cutting down a trunk over four inches across! (And I think I'm going
to have to do another one, which I planted in what anybody with a
brain could have seen was the wrong place.)

Mike.