Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
bob carwell

Default Evaporation rate guesses

Could somebody at least give me some very, VERY rough guesses as to on
average how much water I might have to replace due to evaporation for
a pond. I have seen threads and understand it is very complex with
all sorts of equations, variables of relative humidity, amount of
splashing, surface area, etc., etc. but I just need to get a rough
handle on how ambitious to get. Some anecdotal real examples would be
helpful. I'm currently looking at maybe a 10x15x2 ft. pond with
perhaps a run of 75 ft. of water effects (mostly a small stream with a
few little waterfalls) and a recirculating tank below. I'm in Austin,
TX, and the water would get maybe 60 % sun during the day. I am
clueless whether I'm looking at 10 gallons/month or 1000 or whatever..
Thanks.