Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Pam

Default Fertilizers and care?

"J. Lane" wrote:

Hi Someone,
Suggest you get a sprinkle on fertilizer for your indoor plants. There are
some great granular ones that slow release for four months. Just make sure
they have both macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients. I used some that I got
as a sample from a gardening club and you should see the size of my spider
plant's leaves! Over one and a half inches thick and a foot and a half long.
Re the blueberry. You need another blueberry of different type to cross
pollinate so that they will produce fruit. They love acidic soil and shade
to part shade. If you can't acidify the soil, fertilize them with Miracid.
Helps?

Blueberries are self-fertile so they will produce fruit individually, however
you will get better and larger crops if they do have another cultivar with which
to cross pollinate. And I would question the positioning in shade - more sun
will produce more flowers, resulting in more fruit. Fertilizing in spring with a
rhododendron fertilizer (or one specified for acid loving plants) will help to
maintain soil acidity. Miracid (aka Miracle Gro for Acid Lovers) will do little
to change or intensify soil acidity.

Your remaining berries will benefit from a good mulching with compost each
spring.
Roses are heavy feeders - they like lots of sun, regular applications of a rose
fertilizer during the growing season (stop in mid-August) and adequate water.
You might want to consider crown mulching over winter to protect from severe
cold. Lilacs prefer lean soil, neutral to slightly alkaline pH (although they
will do fine in slightly acidic soil as well) and don't require fertilizing.

You might want to consider looking for a good book on backyard fruit growing,
specially one that is written for your climate. It will outline fruit varieties
that will perform well for your location and describe the best way to care for
them. Most will also provide at least the essentials on pests and problems and
how to treat. Inquire from your local extension agent. And there are are many
books on the care of indoor plants, as well. Look for a series of plant care
books by D. G. Hessayon - the "Expert" series. They address all manner of plants
(houseplants, fruits, vegetables, roses, etc) and are very thorough in their
approach to growing requirements, care, fertilizing and pests and problems. All
readily available through Amazon.com.

I'm not sure why you couldn't find this information on the 'net. It is most
definitely there in various forms. Try doing a google search entering the plant
name comma care - you will get scores of hits. The same thing can be done for
pest and disease problems - i.e., 'apples, powdery mildew'. In many cases, the
information will be tailored to specific locations and climates.

pam - gardengal