Old 02-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Richard Savage

Default Garden Shredder

Recomendations please regarding the choice and purchase of a garden
shredder.

We have just acquired a wheelie bin for (council) disposal of green
waste. The collection is fortnightly and I wish to get maximum value
for money by cramming as much as possible into the bin.

To this end I reckon that I should shred everything bar grass clippings
that is destined for the bin.

I also have a Lawson Cypress hedge that I'd really like to put out for
the bin men! Unfortunately it is 25 years old with trunks
proportionally huge, however I'm tempted to reduce it's height if I can
direct the suitably reduced branches into the bin.

Incidentally the bin will accept branches up to 50mm diameter by about
1m length but I think that putting anything that size in it is a waste
of the limited number of collections.

The bins are emptied by machine, unlike our domestic refuse
collection(!), so weight is not an issue.

TIA Richard