Old 02-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default glyphosate and vegtables

In article ,
PA wrote:
hello,
I've a lot of couch grass to clear, that's be left unchecked for a couple of
years.
I started forking over and removing the roots by hand, but its going to take
a very long time.
been reading a little about glyphosate and I thinking I may use it, but can
I grow vegetables after?
I was also going for a "organic" approach, would glyphosate contradicted
that?
also would I still have to remove the roots or can they be left in the
ground, or would this make the soil no good for growing.

Go for it. Glyphosate was developed specifically to kill couch grass,
and one spraying should be enough. You want to cut it down, let it
green up and then spray it. The roots may make digging a bit tedious
for a short while, but will rot quite fast. While gyphosate is not
'organic', it will not leave a residue used in that way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.