Old 02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
sw

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

anton wrote:

sw wrote in message ...
anton wrote:

sw wrote in message ...
anton wrote:

[-]

Which organochlorines in which tins are you suggesting ain't
perfectly safe?

DDT, aldrin, dieldrin... just ask an otter. Or a bird of prey.

OK.

Dear Mr Otter,
Please tell me where you have seen a tin of DDT or aldrin or
dieldrin recently, so that I can check the instructions on the tin.
If like me you can't find any, please let sw know which decade
we're in.

Ah, sarcasm. Traditional refuge of the ill-informed. Tins of these
these (and more besides) are still readily available in parts of Africa
and elsewhere;

and the instructions on the tin are?

I don't know. The label is printed in English and I'm an illiterate
African farmworker. Alternatively, I'm English, literate, and firmly
believer that if some is good, more is better.

You are welcome to believe that (current) (garden) pesticides are safe
if used according to the instructions on the tin. It may even be true
for some, although the rate at which pesticides are banned as we
discover more about their effects undermines your assumption of safety.
But it's even more important to recognise that many people don't read
the instructions, or don't follow them. Welcome to the real world.

the substances themselves are persistent in the
environments of countries in which they were banned.

Yes. Returning to the point, compare and contrast the dangers to the user
of current pesticides when properly used with:
a) previously used pesticides, such as lead arsenate
b) other household chemicals
c) urine

You forgot to put 'current' in parentheses.
I suspect there's a proper debating term for deciding to change the
rules because you can't win the game.

regards
sarah

--