Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 AM
V_coerulea

Default Looking for Rexius Bark

As for the snowmold, I found Physan a perfect solution, although the process
was laborious and certainly not what I was looking for when I opened the
bag. I soaked all the bark in the bag (those big heavy ones) in Physan 1
Tbsp/ gal for several hours. I then spread the bark out in treated flats
(diamond flats with a piece of screen in the bottom). When dried, I packed
it away in a large trash bag inside a garbage can. Not one bit one snowmold
showed up. I now take that precaution if even a little is spotted in a new
bag. If I were totally obsessed and paranoid and nothing else to do, I'd
probably soak all bark as a precaution just as all users of CHC should take
the precaution of washing it several time to be sure there is no salt left.
Do what you feel comfortable with. But it wouldn't hurt to try a small bag
of new medium on a few plants by way of experimentation. You might find you
like it.
Gary

"TRAINMAN9" wrote in message
Why in the world would you want Rexius bark? Its the worst that I have
ever encountered...leaves your fingers full of splinters, rots at an
accelerated rate, and kills paphs faster than Roundup.

You are the first one to mention anything like this. There are a number of
growers using this bark with excellent results. The Little Greenhouse in

MD, in
business for over 30 years, and one of the premier growers of paphs swears

by
Rexius bark.

if you must use bark go for Sequioia

Sequioia, was very good bark at one time but near the end of their

production
they were packing the bark wet. I had used it the last time I repotted my
greenhouse and even when treated with Physan I still got snow mold.

I also noticed that it broke down very quickly.

but I agree with Ray....go for coconut husk
chips.

I have been growing for over 25 years and was also in the commercial end

of the
business for over 15 years where we sold thousands of plants all over the
country. We were a frequent advertiser in both AOS and OD. We always used

fir
bark based mixes with great success.

but I agree with Ray....go for coconut husk
chips.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't wish to make a change from bark

based
mixes.