Old 03-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Steep Hill Problem

(simy1) wrote:

Many steep banks in New England are covered with vinca minor. And I
mean covered - not an inch of visible ground. Much better than daylily
at preventing erosion, IMHO, because of the thick net of above-ground
rhizomes. One question is how shady the area is. If it is part shade,
vinca will propagate relatively quickly. If it is shade, then vinca
will propagate where other plants will fail.

If it is sunny, the daylilies will do better. Here in Pennsylvania, the
banks on both sides of our road are covered with day lilies for a couple
miles and it was absolutely gorgous most of July. A landscaper couldn't
have done a better job. Our road side was planted by nature.

We have vinca minor growing in dense shade in the woods behind our home.
It doesn't fill in very solid. It looks nice, but doesn't prevent
erosion. It does keep other plants from coming in. It doesn't spread
beyond the dense shade.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman