Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Warren

Default Best way to kill everything growing now for next years garden plot

Roy Hauer wrote:
After being inundated with weeds this year, mainly because I did not
have sufficient time to allow garden to be tilled under and emerging
junk to get killed, I want to start to get rid of everything thats
there ahead of time and keep it that way. I had considered, mowing
everyting thats in there now, veggie plants etc that are finished, and
then spraying with a herbicide such as roundup or something strnger to
kill everything, and then perhaps doing it again 2 or so weeks later.
The mow it all close to the ground, till it under, and cover entire
garden plot with a heavy green tarp I have. Tarp is an old swimming
pool cover, very dense and heavy, and wilol not allow any light
traansmission. I live in Alabama, and I am thinking along with the
herbicides, using this tarp will cause the grasses and weeds to die
fro being overheated and smothered. I know I killed some large sectins
of my lawn when the cover was laying there for about 3 weeks, and its
just now starting to regrow.

Any suggestions for a head start on getting this garden plot prepped.

Pretty much along the same lines, I would say pull out any woody growth
first. Mow it once at the highest setting, and then mow it a second time
at the lowest setting, making sure you don't stall-out the engine.
(After that, it may be good time to get the blade sharpened or
replaced.) Then smother it with some good compost -- at least 2" thick.
Then cover it.

Your tarp will probably work fine if there is enough compost underneath
it. You could also cover the compost with newspaper, and put the tarp
over that to keep the newspaper from blowing away.

When the leaves fall, pull up the tarp, and put some shredded leaves on
top of the newspaper (or bare compost if you didn't use the newspaper.
Pull anything that is daring to grow at this time. When spring comes,
till it. After tilling it, leave it sit for a few weeks for the leaves
and newspaper to decompose more. Pull-up any weeds that dare to grow
again.

When you do plant the area, use plenty of mulch to keep the weeds down.
You might also consider putting newspaper over any large bare areas, or
areas that may be difficult to reach before you cover it with mulch.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: