Old 03-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Warren

Default fertilizer for sweet gum trees

Badri Krishnamachari wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer for a sweet gum tree. It needs
acidic soil....so any good acidic fertilizers should be ok.

Unless it's just been transplanted, it shouldn't need to be fertilized.
Never knew anyone who did fertilize a sweetgum tree. I've got a huge one
in my front yard, and I've never fertilized it.

They do, however, like plenty of water. I keep the lawn and beds under
the drip line, and about 15' beyond, very well watered. The roots extend
under my neighbor's lawn, too. He doesn't water that area enough so you
can fairly clearly see how far and where the roots go. The grass over
them dies each July.

Make sure you aerate your lawn each fall. That will allow the rains to
get down deeper. If the tree really does need nutrients, top-dress your
lawn with some nice organic material after aerating.

Bottom line: Keeping the area under the tree well watered is usually all
you'll need to do for a sweetgum tree.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.