Old 03-08-2003, 06:22 AM
M. Tiefert

Default citrus trees

In article , Bill and Nancy Weiler wrote:

Hi All,

... Having NEVER grown citrus, is
there anything I should be careful of when choosing varieties? Do dwarf

It would be neat to choose varieties that aren't commonly sold in local
supermarkets - I mean, the fruits that are expensive at the grocers. I'm
not in Florida, but, maybe blood oranges (which are red), pomelo (larger
than grapefruit, and taste nicer) (but I hate grapefruit...), temple

trees produce well enough to supply fruit for the two of us? Is

Definitely! With that many trees you may be sending home-made marmelade
back north.

cross-pollination necessary or desireable? Any problems with the root
system close to concrete sidewalks or foundations? We are interested in
growing lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruit. Should we consider
others, like tangerines, etc? What kind of maintenance is there? Any

If you like tangerines - of course! The true clementines are the best (I
think so, anyway).

Citrus tend to be heavy feeders and need micronutrients - but I'm sure
you'll be able to buy citrus fertilizer in Florida.

help would be appreciated. We are looking forward to gardening in a
relatively frost free area--for a change.

Bill

cheers,

Marj

* * *