Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Please help Screen neighbours from me

I would nip in and throw the wind chimesaway, they are torture from
hell!!!!!!!!

keith wrote:
Any suggestions to build a 'screen' along the wall in my back
garden to hide the neighbours?

They're indulging in gazebo, pergola, the works, and because the
gardens slope upwards away from our houses you can see (& hear)
everything they do. (They've even got wind chimes to stand duty
annoying us when they're not actually there themselves.... )

There's already a 5' high panel fence, But I need it to be about 50%
taller than it is, as their erections are much higher than the fence.

I was thinking of say a hedge or row of bushes that grows quickly to
about 8-10' and stops, needing minimal maintenance? Would need to
be along a distance of about 10m (5 standard fence panels and come
in a line alog the garden edge right up to the back of the house.

Obviusly want to avoid leylandii, and looking at the FAQ the options
suggested a
privet
laurel
camelia (not sure what this is)
clematis

But as a non-gardener, without much time to spare, which is best to
let me achieve a decent screen , ideally within about 6 months
without too much cost?

There is already a single clematis (I think - it's got great big
flowers) there so perhaps the best is a row of these? I would prefer
a screen that still works in winter as I want to avoid seeing what
they have in their garden all year round.

Back of house faces south, garden slopes upwards away from house,
located in Exeter, Devon.

Can anyone suggest the best options to look at?

thanks

Keith

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk