Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Natalie

Default Please help Screen neighbours from me

"
But as a non-gardener, without much time to spare, which is best to let

me
achieve a decent screen , ideally within about 6 months without too much
cost?

There is already a single clematis (I think - it's got great big

flowers)
there so perhaps the best is a row of these? I would prefer a screen

that
still works in winter as I want to avoid seeing what they have in their
garden all year round.

Back of house faces south, garden slopes upwards away from house,

located
in
Exeter, Devon.

Can anyone suggest the best options to look at?

In 6 months is a tall order but with a trellis on top of the fence then
Clematis Armandii would be year round as its evergreen and pretty fast as
are many honeysuckles
Clematis Montana is fast once it gets going but it soon overtakes

everything
and its not evergreen

Otherwise Pyracantha or Escallonia or variegated privet are the fastest

,are
evergreen and most controllable
Pyracantha has the extra benefit of berries in 3 different colours all
winter ......its easily trimmed with hedge trimmers and keeps out invaders
thanks
Keith

I agree that a trellis on top of the fence is a good option. A variety of
climbers will look good. Another fast growing one is Passion flower (P.
Caerulea) which has the advantage of being evergreen, has a long flowering
period with magnificent flowers, followed by fruit (which is edible although
quite bland).

Natalie