Old 03-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Simon Avery

Default Pump Ideas !!

"rich" wrote:

Hello rich

r I know this is not strictly a gardening quesation but I
r thought this might be the place to get the relevant feedback
r ! Does any one know where I can get a "stirrup pump" or
r similar hand operated device that I can use to pump water
r from a small stream at the bottom of my garden ???? It does
r seem a shame to use water from the hose pipe when I have a
r more efficient supply for my veggies ! The drop to the brook
r is probably about 8` (2.5m). Any help would be greatly
r appreciated!! :-)

What you could do (unless you're looking for a way to stay fit) is get
a ram pump. Needs no electricity - it uses the water power of the
stream itself. Low flow but can pump very high - say to a nice storage
tank at the top of your garden, and turn the overflow into a water
feature running back to the stream?