Old 03-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Larry Harrell

Default Despite one of the worst fire seasons in the park in 50 years, it's been a benign summer in the

(Aozotorp) wrote in message ...
Benign" meaning it hasn't been as bad as two of the last 4 years?
Only about 2 million acres?!?! The bulk of the fire season is still
ahead and massive fires are probable in the coming 2 months. Here on
the Sequoia, where I've been working, we've had a very unusual period

of humid weather with thunderstorms. For a few days it felt like I was
back in the South with 98 degree temps and light rain.

I see! Failure to read for content!

Nah! I did read it all and fully understood the slant underlying the
use of the word "benign". Yep, you folks are trying to convince the
public that hundreds of thousands of acres of high burn intensity is
"normal". That 2 million burned acres at this point in the fire season
is fine and dandy. Ask the people who lost loved ones or property if
this "benign" fire season is a good thing.

Also, are burned National Parks fine with you folks? Whatever happened
to the "let-burn" policy? Are you now in favor of stopping a "natural"
process to "save" all those purty trees? Should we be paying out big
bucks to forestall the inevitable? You folks obviously don't know just
WHAT you want.

Larry, a true environmentalist