Old 31-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Pam

Default Tomato

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:11:21 GMT,since it's all about me
"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" professed:

Harold...would you please include some attributes with your
posts so that it is clear to whom you're responding? An
attribute, in case you're not sure, is that little tag at
the top of this message that tells anyone who is reading
that I'm responding to you.

I respectfully disagree with Harold Walker.????????? No problem at all
with disagreements...we are all entitled to our opinions...and another
comment to follow.......have you ever tried to grow heirlooms in the same
spot year after year after year due to space limitations?.....HW

Yes.

At my old house I had exactly one spot that got enough sun
for tomatoes and peppers. It was about 12 feet long and 3
feet wide. I grew heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes
there for 14 years with no problems.

At my new place I have lots and lots of sun, but The War
of The Thrips is raging. Last summer, I lost most of my
tomatoes by mid-July because thrip damage was followed
by a succession of diseases. The two varieties that came
through war still producing were Brandywine and Arkansas
Traveler.

The only bell peppers that survived, in case you're
interested, were a Polish heirloom, Buran, Geeez, those
are tough little pepper plants! They produced in the hottest
part of the summer and in the cool, cool fall. (Seeds or
plants are available at www.seedsavers.com)

The many varieties of hot peppers kicked Thrip butt.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"