Old 03-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Martin Brown

Default glyphosate and vegetables

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , PA
writes
I was also going for a "organic" approach, would glyphosate contradicted
that?

Glyphosate or any of its derivatives are not acceptable for use in
organic food production. Commercial growers are banned from using it.
Recreational growers can do as they wish, but the resulting crops are
not recognised as organic grown.

Organic(TM) produce is primarily a marketing scheme to separate the
worried well and others with an irrational fear of "chemicals" from more
of their cash for substantially the same product.

Using glyphosate is probably the most effective way to clear couch grass
(or any other form of grass). Grasses are exquisitely sensitive to it.
You don't need much applied accurately to have a big effect. The dead
plant material will rot down in place. Minimum inputs is a very
reasonable strategy to adopt in your own garden - I don't use any
pesticides on food crops. But using glyphosate to keep weeds down is
fair game.

Best value for money is to zap the stuff with glyphosate and then torch
it when tinder dry. It will take out all the overgrown brushwood and
shallow rooted bramble as well. Be sure to make fire breaks around the
edges!

And glyphosate is remarkable benign to birds and mammals considering how
deadly it is to green plants. In commercial formulations the wetting
agent (powerful detergent) is far more dangerous than the active
ingredient.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown