Old 03-08-2003, 10:02 PM
mtk

Default New Gardener!

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:49:54 -0400, isabela wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am a new gardener with some questions. I bought a house and i have
gotten the gardening bug! Being cheap,lol....i'd like to know what is
the best way to start. Should i come up with a plan or just start?

You should have some idea what you want, a trip to a few local garden
centers should help. See what they have and what YOU like and form a plan.
You have 2 basic types of plants as far as sunlight go, plants that like
shade and plants that like Sunshine. This is important. Putting a shade
loving plant in full sun is not good and visa-versa. Astilbe likes shade,
Black eyed Susans like Sun for instance. There are plants that come back
year after year (perenials) and plants that die at the end of the growing

season
(annuals).

I have a neighbor who is willing to give me some daylillies in exhange

for
my help with her yard. I think it is a fantastic trade off....How did

you
start your garden?

I've always loved gardening so for me it was easy, I see something I
like and I buy it and plant it. It's THAT simple.

Thanks in advance...isabela

The above has the good basics. I'll add that you would do well to know what
garden zone you are in. Also look around the homes in the area and see what
is growing there at different times of the year. Just because wal-mart sells
it, doesn't mean it will grow in your zone. E-bay has some great plant buys,
and I've not been ripped off by a plant person yet! Start as you can. Most
things can be moved later, if a 'plan' comes to mind. Don't hesitate to try
your hand at cuttings. It's a great way to get plants that are hard to find.
Get involved in plant trades, and if you admire a plant you see in a yard,
ask the owner for a root or cutting. Most will feel flattered and happy to
share. I doubt that any would yell at you for asking. There are some great
garden forums on the web, (like this one where people will gladly help
with problems. Above all, Enjoy!!