Old 03-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Steve J. Noll

Default "Powdery" algae?

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 17:07:45 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:
"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
My Dad has a small 500 gallon pond...
It's old cement, painted, with sloping sides.
900GPH Rio 3100 in-pond pump,
Tetra PF3 biofilter. No bottom drain.
25W Aqua Ultraviolet UV.
Bunch of mostly small goldfish.
Lots of plants. Semi sun/shade.

Problem is a "powdery" kind of green algae
sits on the sloping sides of the pond.
If anything disturbs it it turns into a cloud of
fine algae. It's not string algae and it's not
pea soup algae. I think it's too fine to net.

Although there's good water flow it's not
enough to sweep this stuff out. It doesn't
adhere to the walls at all, and seems alive (green).

If it is sitting on the walls and not fouling/clouding the water, it's
probably just pond sweater algae. Having it is a good thing because it gives
your fish something to feed on, and more importantly tells you your water is
healthy. My sweater alage is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick and looks great if
you ask me.

BV.

"Sweater" algae - that's a new one on me. Google search turns up
nothing.
Problem is it clogs the foam filter on the Rio 3100 every couple days.
And if anything disturbs it, the water quickly clouds up. It does
settle back in reasonable time, though. Way too much of it for the
fish to eat.
Just ordered a Danner Pondmaster 2000 1' x 2' filter to use as the
pump input filter so it doesn't have to be cleaned so often.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)