Old 03-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Martin Brown

Default glyphosate and vegtables

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , PA
writes
thanks every one for your input, I'm still in two minds though....
the bit I don't get is: if no residue is left in the soil, what about when
the roots of the weeds start to break down wont they release chemicals,
which will be then taken up by whats ever growing?

Most of the roots will not break down, they will survive and re-grow
with increased vigour to replace the temporarily wilted plant tops.

You live in a world of your own. Glyphosate will kill grass stone dead
roots and all. I have been using it recently for exactly this purpose.
Very little glyphosate weedkiller applied precisely is needed to wipe
out couch grass. Translocating weedkillers take out roots as well as top
growth. The trick is to hit only the intended target without causing
collateral damage in an overgrown ornamental border.

It has been around now for a couple of decades and is as close to an
environmentally friendly weedkiller as you are ever likely to find.

A few very tough weeds with large deep roots and small tough waxy leaves
can survive it (and for some reason buttercup is partially resistant).

If glyphosate is used as a spray, it can carry by air for quite a
distance depending on atmospheric conditions at the time of use. Small
quantities of it settling on nearby food plants will render them unfit
to be described as organic grown. Commercial growers attempting to sell
affected crops have lost their organic certification by that means.

Whilst it is reprehensible for anyone to spray when there is a wind that
can take spray drift onto adjacent plants the result is generally a dead
plant. Clearly this would make them very difficult to sell.

Please provide evidence that trace glyphosate metabolites have been used
to revoke Organic(TM) grower licences. I can just about believe it has
happened given how crazy UK supermarket driven agriculture has become.

Tomatoes:
Forget the taste but is it round red, blemish free and exactly 5cm
across.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown