Old 04-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Rice Hulls

I just have to ask, Brian. Do your bonsai go snap, crackle, and pop?!? ;-)

Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Brian Berggoetz wrote:
The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still predominately
rice hulls.
He uses a soil amendment called Kellogg's Amend which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears to be
comparable to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did notice
that one study showed that it slowly releases Nitrogen, Phosphorus and
Potassium as it decomposes, though it does break down very slowly. Does
anyone have any experience with it? Brian Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++