Old 31-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Big Boy or Better Boy tomatoes

I would choose Better Boy over Big Boy. They seem more consistent and
uniform in size. I can't say that either is better in flavor because
they're both good. You seem to grow the same tomatoes I do. I've tried
German Johnsons and some Heirlooms, but always go back to Early Girls, Sweet
100's, Better Boys, Yellow Pear, and more recently, Grape Tomatoes. I think
they're the most disease and drought tolerant and the most flavorful.

I also think too many people overfertilize and water their tomatoes to speed
up the growing process and thus, give up flavor. Tomatoes are like a fine
wine and do much better with patience in growing.

This is my opinion. Hope you get others to help in your decision.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Andy N" wrote in message
. net...
I will repost this message because previous post must have gotten lost in
the (tomato) header because I didn't get any response to it. I am hoping
some of you gardeners have grown both Big Boy and Better Boy tomatoes and

would like your opinion(s) on what your preferences are. I have to
drastically cut down on the size of my garden and will have room for only

few tomato plants. I'll definitely plant Early Girl, Sweet 100 (cherry)

and
either Big Boy or Better Boy depending on your recommendations. Thanks