Old 04-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Nedra

Default What is a good pH for Goldfish???

I know Lee will want to answer this thread as soon as
she gets home from her week-end jaunt. She is a staunch
believer in KH readings. She uses baking soda faithfully
as do I. Rod Farlee- our absent chemist - told me to
use 1 cup of baking soda for 1,000 gallons of pond water
for 3 or 4 days. (I have a 3,000 gallon pond) I am like Lee.
I like to keep a healthy
reading on for KH. Your pH will stabilize at 8.4. This
is what we look for ... stability just as Rich says.

Nedra

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
et...
The pH can be anywhere from about 7 to 9 with a little tolerance either
side. What is more important is the stability of the pH. If the pH is
jumping up and down, morning and evening, then the fish are being stressed
and stress causes disease. I don't run the pH, because I feel a test

called
KH (carbonate hardness) is more important. If the KH is up, the pH will

be
stable. I don't like to see a pond have less than 4 dH or 70 ppm, and the
higher the better for the filter bacteria, up to at least 300 ppm.
--
RichToyBox

"Mike" wrote in message
I was wondering what a good pH for Goldfish are? I just purchased a

pond
testing kit and got a pH of about 7.8. Is this good?

Mike