Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 AM
NJ

Default NJ. How was the pond tour?

"johnrutz" wrote in message
on your water letuce how much sun are they geting? I bought some eal
nice hyacinth and when I put it in the pond within a few days it was
brown and crispy, sun burt and now it kinda sorta resembles what you
describe
I dont know if thats what is happening to your lettuce but

Hi, John...

My water lettuce aren't browning or crisping; they have just turned totally
pale yellow, and I have noticed that the soft, hairlike rootlets on them are
dark and/or nonexistent. They have begun to get mushy and grey, so I have
taken them all out of the pond. My lilies have sent up a legion of pads, so
that and the rampant anacharis may end up providing the coverage I need for
continued clear water. The water lettuce enjoy dappled morning sun and
total afternoon shade. I think it must have been some sort of bug
infestation.

On another note: we are still in the lead in the Battle of the Ponds
(!!)--a few stray ballots are still being awaited. I am still chuckling
(but oh so very proud!).

NJ (just back from a 5-day professional trip to Denver, CO which should
explain my tardy reply)