Old 04-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Chris Herring

Default How many to plant, how long to establish?

Apologies in advance for boring you.. I posted a similar request way back in
October 2002.. I am still trying to decide if bamboo or what bamboo is the
right choice..

I want to plant a screen between my home and my neighbor's. I have very
limited horizontal space (between fence and pool) so bamboo seems like a
logical choice. I am in Maryland (Zone 7a). The planting site is a 30-40
foot strip along the south edge of my property, behind a 6 foot solid wood
fence. In the shade of the fence it is, well, shady. If and when the bamboo
makes it past the top of the fence, there partial sun (site is partly under
the canopy of large oak trees). My neighbor to the north has a stand of what
I suspect to be yellowgroove bamboo, and it seems to do pretty well under
similar conditions (it is at the south side of his house, behind a similar
6' fence, under similar tree canopy.) I have discussed it with my neighbors
to the south, and they like the idea of planting bamboo. I would not need to
install a rhizome barrier.

(a) Does anyone have specific recommendations? I would like to end up with
something 15-20 feet tall.

(b) I have heard that patience is a necessary attribute with bamboo.
However, this is the age of "instant gratification", to which I have
acquiesced, and I want privacy now! How long after planting will I have an
adequate screen?

(c) I have heard that it is possible to start with more than one plant, for
better initial coverage. But eventually one plant will become dominant and
crowd out the others. In the long run, it will take longer for the one plant
to establish, because of the competition. Is this true?

Regards,

Chris Herring