Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Jim A

Default Best way to kill everything growing now for next years garden plot

Hello Roy
If you are planning on using a weed killer, please spray it and let it kill
the weeds before you cover everything with the carpet or tarp. Especially
if you are going to use roundup, it needs to be taken all the way down to
the roots to completely kill the plant. THere is also, 2-4-d commonly
called Weedar, and atrozine, but they don't kill down to the roots... the
plant will grow back.

Try the roundup. If yoiu want to kills something that is more of a soil
sterilizer for a longer kill time, you can try pramitol liquid or pellets,
or h-var xl, but these will keep everything from growing back for possibly
months.

JIm in jacksonville

"Roy Hauer" wrote in message
After being inundated with weeds this year, mainly because I did not
have sufficient time to allow garden to be tilled under and emerging
junk to get killed, I want to start to get rid of everything thats
there ahead of time and keep it that way. I had considered, mowing
everyting thats in there now, veggie plants etc that are finished, and
then spraying with a herbicide such as roundup or something strnger to
kill everything, and then perhaps doing it again 2 or so weeks later.
The mow it all close to the ground, till it under, and cover entire
garden plot with a heavy green tarp I have. Tarp is an old swimming
pool cover, very dense and heavy, and wilol not allow any light
traansmission. I live in Alabama, and I am thinking along with the
herbicides, using this tarp will cause the grasses and weeds to die
fro being overheated and smothered. I know I killed some large sectins
of my lawn when the cover was laying there for about 3 weeks, and its
just now starting to regrow.

Any suggestions for a head start on getting this garden plot prepped.

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com