Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Gale Pearce

Default almost black water

By redone , I am thinking you had a new liner installed - if so, you are
back to square one - it will take the rest of this summer here in SW Ont to
"mature" the pond, or "cycle" it - until next year it will probably "swing"
back and forth between clear and cloudy - the bacteria additive will help,
but stay away from chemicals and floctulants - they will only prolong the
problem

"Oh ya, the guy that did the pond said our pump was too small, but he said
it
was the right size when he did the pond."

Is he talking about the original pond that was redone bigger or now ? - how
big is the pond and how much water / hour are you filtering? - you should be
filtering at least half the pond / hour - more is better, especially with a
large fish load
That being said, patience is the best cure
Gale :~)
"Carolyn" wrote in message
We just had my mom's pond redone this spring. The liner is totally

covered
with rocks. There is a filter and skimmer system with a waterfall. The
water was totally clear for about 2 weeks then started to get cloudy. We
were using one type of bacteria, but it wasn't helping. We also used a
product to get rid of string algae, which is gone now. The water just

kept
getting darker and murkier. Now we can only see the fish when they come

up
to feed. So we tried another type of bacteria which was supposed to work
within a week. Three weeks later, still no improvement. Now we added
barley straw pellets. Still no improvement. What are we doing wrong??

Oh
ya, the guy that did the pond said our pump was too small, but he said it
was the right size when he did the pond. If it was any bigger we would be
blasting the rocks and the fish right out of the pond!

TIA
Carolyn
SW Ontario