Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Orchid Greenhouse

Mariana,

I think you may be in for some sticker shock.

$2,000 is not going to build a quality greenhouse with heating, cooling,
misting equipment durable enough to withstand the winters in New York.

There are bargain kits out there but be careful what you invest in. If you
put 500 orchids in the greenhouse at @ $20 per orchid you have a $10,000
investment in the plants. If a mid January noreaster blows through New York
you could lose everything.

You may want to adjust your budget.

Good Growing,
Gene

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
. net...
Okay, my husband finally had enough of the orchids taking over our living
space and he threatned me with bodily harm g if I don't quit buying

them.
We've come to a compromise. A greenhouse. We agreed on no more than

$2,000
which should cover the (minimum) heating system for winters, and possibly

misting system, and fans to circulate the air. I want the greenhouse to

be
large enough to accomidate anywhere from 200-500 orchids.
I would love to hear recommendations, pluses and minuses of growing in
greenhouses vs. a house and any other information that you think will be
usefull.

I reside in New York City and have about 400-500sq feet for this plan.

You can respond here or drop me an email in private at grdengrl at

optonline
dot net.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana