Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 AM
jbclem

Default Deer - what's the ultimate answer?

Jon,

I just thought of another variation. How about eye level horizontally
spraying hot water hooked to a motion detector. The kind of spray nozzles
you'd see in a grocery store over the vegetable areas, or in drip irrigation
setups or higher pressure nozzles used in greenhouses. Deer probably
ignore water that comes from above(could be rain they're thinking!) but if a
nozzle goes off right in their face as they lean over to yours flower beds.
Maybe a row of nozzles at flower level pointing up so they get a mouth of
hot water when they are a foot from that tasty bud.

You could experiment mixing cayenne pepper in the water, or vinegar, etc...

John

"Jon Maurer" wrote in message
.. .
Once again this year, one (possible more than one) deer that has made
it's home in our neighborhood had discovered my lillies and other
flowering plants/shrubs and had had a nice meal off the buds and
flowers.

Last year it ate every one of my lilly buds before they flowered; at
least this year most of them had flowered and we'd had weeks of pleasure
from the blooms before they became supper for the deer, but it has also
now eaten all the buds off multiple asters too so I may not see any
color from them this year now.

So, apart from erecting a 6' high electric fence around my entire
property, what is the "never fails" answer to keeping deer away from a
flower-bed but that still allows you to enjoy the pleasure of looking at
the bed directly (I.e. not through chicken-wire, etc,)?

Thanks,

Jon