Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Dave in The Ozarks

Default Deer - what's the ultimate answer?

That's right, John. They don't seem to try to walk through.
I didn't believe that it would work, but it does.

Dave

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:02:55 GMT, "jbclem"
wrote:

Dave,

Did the deer actually never try to get through the fishing line fence?
It's an interesting idea, the line being invisible must spook them if it
works.

John

"Dave in The Ozarks" wrote in message
.. .
Here's a fix I haven't seen on the net.

Weve been here in SW Missouri for 3 years. For the past two years,
deer have devastated our plants.

This year we set up fences made of 10# to 20# test fishing line. We
used 5 ' pieces of conduit for fence posts and used 4 strands of
fishing line. In some areas where the deer were poking their heads
through, we put diagonal strands of line. You can not see the fishing
line from several feet away.

Believe it or not, the fishing line has been about 90% effective.
We've lost a few day lilies where the deer have poked their heads
through, but that's about it.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:10:23 -0400, Jon Maurer
wrote:

Once again this year, one (possible more than one) deer that has made
it's home in our neighborhood had discovered my lillies and other
flowering plants/shrubs and had had a nice meal off the buds and
flowers.

Last year it ate every one of my lilly buds before they flowered; at
least this year most of them had flowered and we'd had weeks of pleasure
from the blooms before they became supper for the deer, but it has also
now eaten all the buds off multiple asters too so I may not see any
color from them this year now.

So, apart from erecting a 6' high electric fence around my entire
property, what is the "never fails" answer to keeping deer away from a
flower-bed but that still allows you to enjoy the pleasure of looking at
the bed directly (I.e. not through chicken-wire, etc,)?

Thanks,

Jon