Old 04-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Rice Hulls

The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other
day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though

he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still

predominately
rice hulls. He uses a soil amendment called Kelloggs Amend

which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears

to be
comparible to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did

notice
that one study showed that it slowly releases Nitrogen,

Phosphorus and
Potassium as it decomposes, though it does break down very

slowly. Does
anyone have any experience with it? Brian Zone 12

Hmmmm. I did a simple (non-Google) web search for Kelloggs Amend
and came up with a dozen marijuana-growing sites. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++