Old 04-08-2003, 03:13 AM
LeighMo

Default Dark brown ALGEA on my swords!

So today since i left the co2 on all night ph was stable at 7.0

That's good!

I have a decent set of test kits but
all the testing isn,t much good. The algea is now a redish brown and I
should rephrase the clumps its more in patches.

That sounds like brown algae. A few otocinclus catfish will make short work of
it. Get roughly one for each ten gallons of tank size. (They've small.)

The water I was told by the LFS contains high amounts
of phosphates.

So does mine. 40ppm, according to my water report. But it's never been a
problem for me. Even in my unplanted tanks, it didn't cause algae problems.

do have a few SAE's

Are you sure they are true SAEs? Most fish sold as SAEs in the U.S. are
actually false SAEs.

I also have 3 puffers a
mono some hifin tetras.

Monos and most puffers are brackish water fish. They may not be happy in a
freshwater tank over the long term.

.I have a 29g planted w/ 20w and that tank
couldn't be better.

That is very low-light. It's much easier to control algae in a low light tank.

For a high-light, high-tech tank like your larger tank, the trick is to give
the plants everything they need to grow and let them out-compete the algae.
Don't try to restrict nutrients. Get rid of the ammonia rocks and the
phosphate remover. Your plants will serve as the best ammonia and phosphate
removers in the world, if you just give them what they need to grow. You've
got a good start with light and CO2. Now you just have to find the right
fertilizing regimen.

Because you have such a brightly-lit tank, you may need to add more Flourish,
etc., than the label says. The best way to do this is to let your plants be
your guide. If they look pale, they probably need more fertilizer. It's not
uncommon for people to have to add four times as much as the label says, or
even more, for a high-tech tank with a lot of plants in it. Each tank is
different, so you'll have to experiment to see what works best for you.

You should also make sure that a lot of your plants are fast-growing stem
plants. Cabomba, Limnophila, Bacopa, Rotala, water sprite, Hygrophila, etc.
It's the fast-growing plants that are best at outcompeting the algae.
Especially at the beginning, you should have a lot of fast growers.

Leigh