Old 04-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Noydb

Default Harvesting cucumbers

Pat Meadows wrote:

In my experience, cukes always eventually get some virus
disease (or something like that), yellow and then die.

I'm going to try spraying mine with compost tea this year.

I've got some compost that is nearly ready, a five gallon pail, mesh bags
used for filtering lumps out of paint and will stop off at the pet supply
store tomorrow for a small aquarium pump, some airline hose and an aeration
stone to keep things aerobic for a few days.

I've been reading that spraying leaves with compost tea will place a barrier
between the leaf surface and pathogens.

Over the course of a week last year I lost my beans and cantaloupes to
fungal infections. It looked like powdery mildew, but I haven't claimed to
know everything about everything since the wedding. ;-)

Worth a try, anyways.

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)