Old 01-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Jim Carter

Default Commie tomatoes

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:21:52 -0600, zxcvbob wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Has anyone tried any of the tomato varieties from Russian and NE
Europe? There's a couple of 50 day tomatoes in one of my catalogs that
look intriguing, but I wonder how they taste? "Siberia" and "Stupice".
Has anyone ever tried them?

Regards,
Bob, in Minnesota

The motherlode of Russian and Siberian tomatoes is at

http://www.seedstrust.com/hag/hag_tom_easy.html

I found a quote I like about one of the Siberian varieties

"At a taste test of dozens of tomatoes, someone shouted, "Oh my gosh! This is a
tomato!""

At least one variety from the Ukraine has fruit in 58 days.

"Matures: 58 Days. Ukraine. Each small, compact plant produces 20-30, 4-6 oz.
juicy tomatoes in record time. In fact, Odessa is the only tomato to ripen in
the same class as Galina, Stupice and SashaÕs. (Det.)"
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a