Old 04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Mike Le Pelley

Default Gherkins

I'm a newcomer to this food-growing lark, so please forgive any inane
questions. I'm trying to grow gherkin plants in a very limited amount of
space - I've got 3 plants per 25-cm diameter pot, and they seem to be doing
OK, despite warnings on the seed packet that they need 10 square feet per
plant. Does anyone else have any experience with growing gherkins in pots,
and if so do they have any useful advice? Also, they've been growing for
about a month and a half now, and I was wondering if I should be pruning. I
found a website saying I should just cut off the very tip of the growing
plant - is this sensible advice? Or should I just leave them to grow?

Any help would be gratefully received - I've become obsessively attached to
my little gherkins and want to see them grow big and strong.

Best wishes,

Mike