Old 04-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Pruning in general

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:52:11 GMT, Mark & Shauna
wrote:

Pat,
Thanks for the reply, that makes us feel good. We just came in from
harvesting and the peppers plants are looking fantastic but not a ton of
fruit, I am not sure it has been hot enough here (WV) this year for them
to really get crankin'. The tomatoes however are going off like
gangbusters. We just moved here and this is the first year for this
ground so they are a bit small but still very very healthy and producing
lots of fruit. Like I said, I was moreso concerned with the peppers but
it could just be the weather.

Peppers take a relatively long time, so do eggplants.

If you start your own seeds, you can have large and
well-developed plants by the time they can safely be
transplanted into the garden (after danger of frost).

Or you can transplant things out before danger of frost is
over, and protect them with WalloWaters or other things.

If you buy seedlings, there's not much you can do about it
but plant them and wait.

But this year is very, very strange anyway.

We had a terrible cold rainy spring and it's been very cool
here (northern PA) for most of the summer too. I've only
had three ripe tomatoes so far.

We've had ONE hot week (first week in July, IIRC) and the
rest of the time it's been quite cool. Very pleasant for
people, not good for the heat-loving plants (tomatoes,
peppers, eggplants).

Pat