Old 04-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Sacha

Default Inula magnifica

in article , Spider at
wrote on 4/8/03 11:57 am:

Good to hear about another butterfly plant - I'm collecting them at the
moment. I know Inulas like reliably moist soil. How are you growing yours?
Do they need a bog garden, or will they survive in ordinary border soil (I'm
on clay here)? Is mildew a problem during drought? I would be grateful
for your advice.

snip

Ours is growing in pretty ordinary neutral soil which has a far down clay
base. It's in a house border but not in rain shadow. If we have a drought,
it just gets watered when everything else does and so far, no sign of mildew
at all. It helps to stake it, in our experience, because wind and rain can
batter it down a bit and it does spread quite well, too. Another good
butterfly plant is Eupatorium - they love it.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)