Old 04-08-2003, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

Default Orchid Greenhouse

I did a cursory glance through the Canadian Orchid Congress website
http://www.CanadianOrchidCongress.ca/ and looked at a few of their past
newsletters. There was a nice article in June 2001 on building a solarium
which might give you some other considerations, in addition to snow load.

K Barrett

"dusty" wrote in message
s.com...
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
. net:

Okay, my husband finally had enough of the orchids taking over our
living space and he threatned me with bodily harm g if I don't quit
buying them. We've come to a compromise. A greenhouse. We agreed on
no more than $2,000 which should cover the (minimum) heating system
for winters, and possibly a misting system, and fans to circulate the
air. I want the greenhouse to be large enough to accomidate anywhere
from 200-500 orchids. I would love to hear recommendations, pluses and
minuses of growing in greenhouses vs. a house and any other
information that you think will be usefull.

I reside in New York City and have about 400-500sq feet for this plan.

You can respond here or drop me an email in private at grdengrl at
optonline dot net.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

I hate to disappoint you but $2000 won't buy a greenhouse large enough for
your collection without figuring in the heat and controls. Size wise I

have
an 8 X 10 foot leanto that I can only get approximately 150 catt. vanda,
den. mix of plants into it and still keep them happy.
As for sticker shock here's some places you can look.
http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/
http://www.envirocept.com/
http://www.sundancesupply.com./
http://www.gardengreenhouses.com/showroom/index.htm