Old 04-08-2003, 05:02 PM
MattR

Default pond filter

Iain Miller wrote:

... I've read of people
using chopped up drinking straws - but I think it would be quite a loabour
intensive thing to try & do!

I bought 25,000 straws for $35 and didn't chop them up. I alligned them
so the water went through them. It's working great now. I can now see
everyting in my pond whereas I used to only see down a few inches. But
it did take time and I'm still figuring out what I need to do. I added
bacteria starter but also added quite a bit of potash, epsom salts, and
iron. So I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm enjoying the clear water.

I tried a veggie filter before this and I just wasted a bunch of money
on plants that died. I'm not saying veggie filters don't work but I
think it's more complicated than what people say.

Matt