Old 04-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Despite one of the worst fire seasons in the park in 50 years, it's been a benign summer in the

(Larry Harrell) writes:

Nah! I did read it all and fully understood the slant underlying the
use of the word "benign". Yep, you folks are trying to convince the
public that hundreds of thousands of acres of high burn intensity is
"normal". That 2 million burned acres at this point in the fire season
is fine and dandy. Ask the people who lost loved ones or property if
this "benign" fire season is a good thing.

Now that logging is shut down, forest fires are the only way we can get
rid of all those trees. I have to admit I'm a little irritated that the
last lumber mill in Cave Junction had to close for lack of timber, when
it is sitting next to the 500,000 acre Biscuit fire, which is not being
salvaged. However, the deer and elk hunting in the Siskiyou should be
excellent for the next few years now that the trees are killed out.

Maybe we will get a wet summer. We just had 1/8" of rain at my place,
which is the first rain since May. If it dries out again, I'm expecting
a pretty smoky August.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc